Friday, April 26, 2013

Repost of previous blog

Including a re-post of my first blog, located for now on my jxe Designs website.

A tale of two dresses.

Part 1: Back in December, I bought several vintage crochet patterns on Etsy. One of these became an immediate project.

The "Sexy Red Dress"

Picture

When I got the pdf of this project, the first thing that I noticed was that my own personal 
dimensions did not match any of the dimensions accommodated by this pattern. 

PictureAfter working my gauge swatch, I was able to calculate the number of stitches
needed to re-size this, and proceeded to create a facsimile of this dress using 
Lion Brand Amazing in Glacier Bay. First of all, I had to increase the size to 
accommodate my middle-aged body. I also wanted a more flared skirt than 
the pattern provided. As this was a "bottom up" pattern, that required a bit 
more calculation before I could begin. 

I am rather pleased with the final project, although it is arguably "less sexy" 
than the original, and by no stretch of the imagination could it be 
considered "red"!!!

I love the finished product, but it is a bit shorter than I would

like as a "dress" . . .  works nicely as a tunic, however.
Picture


Part 2: In March, I found another vintage project to sink my hooks into.
Picture

One of the most significant changes I made was to work the skirt in the round in order to avoid side seams. The pattern lends itself well to this modification, but it took me a few attempts to get the starting chain on each row to look like a bar stitch. Once I figured that out, it worked up quickly. The nice thing about crocheting in the round is that it is SO easy to try on the item and make adjustments accordingly.

This one at least reaches to my knees, so I can probably bring myself to actually wear this as a dress. Since it is worked both up and down from the waist, I was able to shape the skirt as I went. I think this pattern would also make a great skirt pattern. There is so much swing to this. I am going to try this again in a solid color, and perhaps make a maxi out of it. It is so easy to vary it. 

I received so many compliments on the incomplete project (especially on the color scheme). I wonder if anyone will recognize it on me!!!

The "Goddess Dress"


An adorable, lacy vintage dress. It provides a bit
more coverage than the "red dress" above. I have
some extended plans for this pattern. For the first
iteration, I chose to work withBernat Mosaic yarn
in Ninja. 

As before, I had to adjust the pattern to fit my body.
Unlike the previous project, I could accomplish most of
the adjustment with a simple change of hook size. By
using a K rather than the I indicated in the pattern
(ok... it does not actually indicate an "I" since this is a
UK pattern. WonkyZebra, however, is VERY
generous with additional information to help in the
cultural translation!) I used the I hook to help define
the waist area, but other than a few minor
modifications, the increased hook size accomplished
all that I needed.  I wanted a longer dress, so I
kept going for several additional rows.
Picture
Picture
Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment