I am getting comfortable with the spinning wheel, and decided it was time to try my hand at dyeing. Starting with one pound of lovely wool roving, I wanted to make a large skein of variegated olive-color yarn. Using the recipes I found at a
website, I tried to make several colors of what I thought would turn out olive.
I divided my one pound roving into 4 approximately equal sections. The first batch I dyed with a mixture of 2 orange to 2 lemon lime packets. The second batch, I used 1 grape and 3 lemon lime packets.
The grape and lemon lime turned out with some very bright lime colored sections. The orange and lemon lime looked a bit like a green-tinged butternut squash casserole. I was not convinced that these colors would go together. What was I to do?!?!?!
Instead of going ahead with my other planned recipes, I decided to make two separate skeins, one with the orange, and one with the grape. I chose ratios of 3 orange to 1 lemon lime and 2 grape to 2 lemon lime for the next two batches.
Time to rinse, allow them to dry, and see what I get.
No comments:
Post a Comment